problem: iTunes is out of sync with ID3 tags
- You've used a tool to manage your MP3 ID3 tags and iTunes is out of sync with the changes
- You would like to refresh ID3 tags on selected tracks in iTunes or your entire iTunes Library
impact: grrrrrrThis is rather frustrating, all that hard work to manage your tags and iTunes gives you the middle finger and your ID3 tags are out of date...
solution:This should work for _ALL_ iTunes versions up to the time of writing, which is 10.1.
In theory it should also work on all platforms too.
- First off, close iTunes if open, make sure its dead
- Make sure the tracks you want to work with are not read only
You can protect iTunes from modifying your tracks by settings files to read only
- Open iTunes
- Select the tracks that you want to refresh
You can select _ALL_ but be warned the more you select, the longer the process will take. I strongly suggest being selective, at least until you've mastered the technique
- With the tracks selected press CTRL+I
You can also right click or activate the context menu and click "Get Info"
- Make sure NO checkboxes are checked
- Select the sorting tab
- Enter anything you like into a blank sorting field
This will check the checkbox for the specific field
- Double check only the sorting checkbox is selected
- Click OK
- iTunes will show a progress bar as it applies changes
- You should see the tracks now have the latest ID3 tags
- Repeat to remove the sort tag when your happy
citation:I've combined methods from these pages
Props to Kishore @ Chinto's blog
and Yoricko @ Harmonic Mixing Community